POLICIES, PROCEDURES + FAQS
We strongly encourage appointments for venue tours. Please contact Graham Ervin at email@example.com or call the office at 843.793.4103 to schedule your visit.
Room Rental Fee:
Room rental fees include use of the The Cedar Room and its Courtyard for five (5) hours of event time with six (6) hours pre-event set-up and two (2) hours post-event breakdown. Additional set-up hours are charged at $200 per hour. For pricing on additional event hours, please contact the sales manager.
Included for 2018:
- 300 Natural Wood Chiavari chairs
- (30) 60” round tables
- (10) 6’ and 8’ rectangular tables
- (10) 30” or 36” tall cocktail tables
- (1) custom built in bar
- Glassware, serviceware, flatware and china
Two 6’ wood chevron satellite bars are available to rent in house. Note, these bars are for inside use only and cannot be moved to the courtyard for a bar set-up. The Cedar Room will provide two 6’ tables for front and back bar; the client is responsible for linens.
Ceremonies and Rehearsals:
The venue can accommodate up to 150-180 seats (depending on the floor plan) in the Courtyard for on-site ceremonies. Rehearsals must be scheduled with the venue manager between 90 to 30 days prior to the event date. The time and duration of the rehearsal will be subject to other events taking place that day and may not last longer than one (1) hour. Note: In-house chairs are not allowed to be used outside in the Courtyard for ceremonies; these must be rented through an outside vendor like Event Haus, Event Works, Ooh! Events, or Snyder Event Rentals.
Weddings require use of a full-service or partial-service licensed professional event/meeting planner to ensure proper care and use of The Cedar Room and its facilities. The planning package must be more than a “day-of coordinator.” This planner may not be someone who is a guest at the function. Clients who fail to obtain a professional event coordinator will pay a 30% surcharge on the total event invoice (this includes coordination of rental and linen orders, drafting floor plans, etc. by The Cedar Room staff unless otherwise approved).
A meeting with the Catering Services Manager is mandatory to discuss presentation, floor plans, rentals, timelines and vendors thirty (30) days prior to the event. Upon completion of the event, a walkthrough with an on-site management representative is required to assess any possible damages or excessive clean-up that may have occurred during the event.
- Upon execution of the venue contract, 50% of the private event fee (non-refundable) plus $1,000 damage deposit (refundable post event) must be submitted in the form of a check made out to Mercantile and Mash.
- The second scheduled deposit, due thirty (30) days prior to the event date, will require the client to pay 50% of the remaining estimated event charges.
- The final guest count is due seven (7) days prior to the event date.
- The third and final payment is due three (3) days prior to the event date.
- All deposits and payments are subject to the terms and conditions under the cancellation clause.
- A 4% processing fee applies to all credit card transactions.
Food + Beverage:
Mercantile and Mash is the exclusive catering and bar service for the venue.
Our in-house pastry team can create custom wedding cakes and cupcakes. A list of flavors, filling and toppings is available in the catering menu.
Outside licensed cake vendors may be brought in, however, a $2 per person cake cutting fee will apply. The cake cutting fee covers plates, beverage napkins, cutting utensils and service staff to cut and plate.
Parking + Transportation:
Guest may park in the Cigar Factory lot after 5:00 p.m. This lot has 150 parking spaces and is shared with other building tenants. On-street parking is also available in the surrounding areas. Valet service is required for groups larger than 250 guests and can be coordinated through Matt Hall at Coastal Valet.
All vendor trucks and staff working the event are required to park on the street or in a remote lot. The Cedar Room nor Mercantile and Mash are responsible for cars left overnight in the Cigar Factory lot.
All tents require a permit in addition to inspection by the City of Charleston Fire Marshal (coordinated through the tent vendor). It is the event planner’s responsibility to be on site during tent install to ensure proper placement.
Power + Sound:
In order to be respectful of our neighbors, no amplified music is allowed in the Courtyard after 11:00 p.m. For amplified sound levels inside, the vendor manager onsite has discussion on noise levels. For band power, The Cedar Room has a cam lock converter that can be rented for $75. Bands must provide or rent a power distro box for the converter to work. We also have several 20 amp outlets on multiple circuits for use. Bands must provide their own gaffers tape and/or rugs to cover loose cords.
Set-up, Breakdown + Decorations:
- All vendors must load-in and out of the Courtyard entrance on Drake Street. Use of the service elevator must be approved by the on-site venue manager.
- The following equipment and services are not provided as part of the private event fee: permits/licenses, chair cushions, floral, audio and projection equipment, ticketing, programs, or drapery.
- Sparklers, fireworks, wishing lanterns, smoke machines or any kind of pyrotechnics inside the space are prohibited.
- Groups are permitted to use sparklers outside the building will be subject to a $250 clean up fee if debris is not cleaned up after the event. Guests using sparklers may not stand on the front stairs for safety reasons. Guests must line up at the base of the staircase.
- Flowers and/or flower petals may be used in the Courtyard for ceremony décor provided they are cleaned up and removed at the end of the event.
- Staples, nails and tacks may not be used anywhere on the property. (Tape may be used, but must be completely removed by Rentals after function.)
- Absolutely no glitter, confetti, birdseed, balloons or wish lanterns may be used inside The Cedar Room or Courtyard.
- Candles may be used, but must be inside a votive. No taper candles or candelabras are allowed.
- Smoking indoors is strictly prohibited. Please use designated smoking areas. For cigar bars, ashtrays must be provided by the event planner or sourced from an outside vendor.
- Note: We do not allow 4’x8’ stage pieces in the space. These are too large to fit through the doors. All stage pieces should be 4’x4’ squares.
- A final walk through will be conducted with a venue manager at the end of the event with a checklist to ensure proper clean up of the space is complete. The event planner is required to stay for the entire event and final inspection. Failure to do so will result in full forfeiture of the client’s security deposit.
- For public events with more than 150 guests, a security guard must be present to ensure the safety of your guests and the venue. Security guards are added at the client’s expense. Security must be scheduled for the duration of the event and must be present until the last guest leaves. The Cedar Room reserves the right to require additional security if the event (private or public) is deemed to be high risk.
- The Cedar Room reserves the right to inspect and control all private event spaces. Liability for damage to the premise is charged accordingly. The Cedar Room in addition to Mercantile and Mash does not assume responsibility for personal property or equipment brought into the private event space(s), regardless if those rooms are secured by personnel from your organization or the venue management. Clients will be held responsible for all damage to any persons or property, on or about Mercantile and Mash, which results from actions of the clients and their guests.
Confirmation of Details:
If you would like to move forward with a contract we ask that you sign and date this private event guideline form to ensure you have read and are aware of our policies and guidelines.
Please note, the venue and event dates are only held on a permanent basis once a formal contract is signed and returned with fifty percent (50%) of the room rental fee plus the $1,000 damage deposit.
701 East Bay Street | no 200
Charleston, SC 29403
WEBSITE BY TREEBIRDBRANDING